EPMD – Da Joint
Happy Thanksgiving, Y’all. Normally, I’m not big on the holiday season for various reasons. I try to give thanks more often than once a year, I see my a lot of my family on a consistent basis, & gifts can be given any time of the year. No, I’m not scrooging out, just sayin’. There’s a lot to be thankful for.
Anywhoo, did y’all know that there was a Mr. T cartoon back in the 80’s? I used to watch the Hell out of Saturday morning cartoons, & I remember this like it was yesterday. We had the best cartoons back then. Recently, this cartoon came up in a random thought. Now, in this post. 🙂
Mister T – Mystery of the Golden Medallion Pt. 1
I’m thankful for all of the experiences I’ve had, good and bad(especially fairly recently). The bad ones make me appreciate the good ones that much better.
I’m learning not to waste energy on things I can’t change. I soooo *heart* the person that is teaching me that. 🙂 It’s still a work in progress.
I just got a neat gadget a little while ago. I need to talk about it.
Still looking for a laptop, though. Anybody wanna kick out some funds?
I think the puppies are gone. I haven’t checked in a minute. Glad I didn’t get too attached, if so. 🙂 Sorry for those that did. 🙁
Twitter is still the bomb.
Mister T – Mystery of the Golden Medallion Pt. 2
I was going to write this post using only T’s. better sense prevailed. I post using all B’s is forthcoming, though.
Oh, one last thing:
First name, Mister. middle name, period. Last name, T!
I defy you to look at this stream for more than a minute and not be moved. If you can, then you are a truly heartless bastard indeed & there is no hope for your soul. A little strong, maybe? Not strong enough!
Anyway, go check them out here or check the embed below. We now return you to your irregularly scheduled brand of meh….in a minute.
Â Â There was another somewhat funny moment at this appointment that I should have blogged about then. I was being hooked up to an EKG machine (which is NOT SOP in a physical that I know of) because…I’m not sure. Could have been because of the initial blood pressure check. Y’all, I was so tired I didn’t bother to ask. The doc told me something, but I don’t remember. So here’s what happened. The nurse came in to hook me up to the EKG. This involves sticking tape & sensors to various parts of the arms & chest. Wellll, 1) there was considerable problems getting said tape to stay on my body in places. Probably because I had on lotion (or my body is Teflon based). 2) I have a hairy chest, so pulling off the tape in that area was an issue with me. The nurse “let” me take those off. 3) The nurse was having printer problems after the third time trying. She gave up after that. The doc asked her to try again after swabbing me down with alcohol in the places needed. We both laughed hard about the whole thing. 4) Oh, and I was cold as shit & didn’t have one of those stupid gowns on! All I had on were just underwear & socks, y’all. Come to think of it, the socks came off at one point. Folks, I can’t stand the cold! I was literally shaking like a leaf the whole time. It was a surprise that she got any good readings at all. I had to brace myself to keep from shaking & that didn’t work.
Â Â Â Â At any rate, like I said before, I was was deemed fairly healthy by the doctor, but he still was concerned about about a couple of things, one of which being the circulation going to my legs. The other, my Cholesterol, was another appointment that I’ve already had, but don’t know the results of yet. The reason for this appointment (possibly outside of milking my HMO for moolah), was because they want your stomach to be at least 8 hours empty. Now, by the time I even saw the doctor, it was about that & my stomach was growling. I guess the whole don’t eat after midnight thing you hear about has something to it. Don’t know. And I’m not totally sure about the doctors whole concern was. I have some sort of idea, but he & I might differ as to the cause of it. As far as I know, I’m alright. Yea, I know, Damn!
Â Â Â Â To keep this post from being too long (and I’m kinda tired at the moment), I’ll save today’s escapades until later on. I will go ahead and bottom line this for those of you who don’t care about this(and why are you reading this, then?):
Go get your self checked every year & ummm, schedule the damn thing when you are not working. You don’t want to take work (or any kind of) stress into your physical. If you do, let them know about it when you get there. You do NOT want them thinking it’s something that it’s not. Granted, you can’t help the fact that you might be stressed when it comes.
I twittered about this. Prostate exams are not comfortable or fun but necessary after a certain age. I’m not at that age yet, but had one anyway. Wasn’t given much choice that I remember. That is all.
Sometimes – Anita Baker
Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose.
Sometimes you hurt the ones you love,
Most times they claim to love you, but
hurt you more.
Sometimes you can accept a lot of things
Sometimes you refuse.
You can take this any way you want,
It’s your right to choose.
Sometimes you play the game right,
Sometimes you make your own rules.
All the the times you should be honest with yourself
& not play people for fools.
Sometimes there is peace in the valley,
other times there is a fight.
I’m looking for the light at the end of the tunnel
because sometimes it’s too dark.
Sometimes you can find the right words to say
Sometimes you just don’t know
Sometimes your friends come in at just the right time
They always go out at the wrong time
Sometimes someone’s messing up the flow.
When they do, you gotta go or they do.
Sometimes you want to be fucked with
or fucked by
But sometimes you just get fucked up
or fucked over
And sometimes, your chances of the latter
are better than finding a four leaf clover
Ok, now before you start trippin, I’m not planning on departing this mortal coil anytime soon. I’m sure some people are disappointed by that & I’d wonder who would care anymore. F U, beeches I’m here until I’m not. *ahem* No, this is a list of things that I really want to do before I actually do go out. I alluded to it a little while ago, so I figured i’d really do a list. There might sound like there is a theme, but there isn’t one sorta. Anyway, let’s get it going (in no particular).
1) I want to really learn photography. While I don’t like having my picture taken, I LOVE people who can. There is something about capturing a moment in time that I love so much. Also, I also love the artfulness (is that even a word?) of capturing people frozen in time. Ok, I like nudes too. The human body can beautiful if tastefully shot.
2) I wanna meet some of you. There are some very nice & cool assed people out here on the Net. There are a couple of you that live close by & I could come holla at. I hope to do that at some point. A couple of you are a distance, but there was something in the area going on, I’d come for that & see you. Realistically, it shouldn’t take an event to do that, but there is that. I’m not much on partying, though, but I’d love to come by & say “HI”!
3) Capital Jazz Fest – I have GOTS to go at least one year. It’s held every year around the first of June in Washington, D.C.(can we call it dark country or Chocolate City now?). The reasons why I haven’t been is either because of work, lack of money, or both. The last couple of years have had some stellar lineup of folks that I’d want to see. Now watch the one year I do go, it’ll suck….Nah, I doubt it. I can’t believe that I haven’t talked about this before.
4) South by Southwest Media Conference (or SXSW for short).Â Two weeks of music, film, Intereactice media, and supposed non stop parties. There is one week for music & one for film. The interactive media stuff (aka web related stuff) is interspersed, I think. You usually see a bunch of folk twittering about it come time. Again, not a big party person, but there is probably a band, some web stuff or some indie film that I’d care to check out. And there are a LOT of all of that, I’m told.
5) Go the fuck to Africa – Never been before. Plus there is the added bonus of the fact that my wife is from Zimbabwe. It sucks over there right now, but she hasn’t been home since she’s been here & that’s been a double digit while.
6) Photo trips – I guess I should have grouped this with #1, but it deserves it’s own spot. Yes, I just want to go somewhere photographic & shoot a bunch of days away. Don’t know if it will ever happen, especially seeing that I need to take care of #1 before anything else.
7) NaNoWriMo – For the last three years, I’ve said that I’ve wanted to do this. Something, possibly including myself, is preventing me from doing it. Happens every November. As in, the time this is posting. Either I’m working when it start & can’t devote the time, or I’m fooling myself somehow(or lazy). I know I have stories I could flip into a novel, especially lately. They might not be page turners,Â but they would be done.
(EDIT 11/20/08 4:40am)
8) Learn a language or two. In High School, I took French. Loved it. Apparently not enough to keep it up because it’s all gone now. I blame all of those years of drugs & alcohol. That, and the fact that I’m joking…no, really. No recreational drugs have gone into this body. Alcohol…well, we are getting off the subject. I LOVE French and I plan to take it back up at some point. Another language i want to learn is Shona. It’s one of the many languages spoken in Zimbabwe where my wife is from. I’ve gone so far as to secure some tapes & a book to learn. Yes, I said tapes as in cassette. They are in the process of being made digital. I’m gonna say that it’s not easy to learn, but what I have picked from my wife and the tapes so far hasn’t been too bad. Don’t ask me to speak it, though. One other language is Japanese. Let’s face it, all of the good gadgets come from Japan & China. So does japanese anime, which I have liked a good bit of in my day. Granted, you can find subtitled or dubbed stuff, but it’s the principality of the thing. And I want to learn Japanese because…
9) I want to go to Japan. I should have just made a travel section & put all of the places I want to go there. Okay, learning Japanese has nothing to do with going to Japan, but hey, this is my list. Leave me alone.
That’s about it other than going on a gadget spree, the wife & I having a child(if it happens, it happens), mastering teleportation, bringing about world peace or whatnot. Some would say “well why don’t you do that stuff. just do it.” Well, most if not all of this stuff require time, energy, & most importantly, MONEY. Guess which one I’m in short supply of. And some things are out of ones control, you know?
There you go. I do hope I can do at least a few of these things before turning to dust. Hell, there’s probably more that I could tack on to this list, but those are the definite ones. Maybe you have your own list. Blog about it & link back or do what most of you do anyway & post in the comments.
Wait, there is one more:
If there is anyone out there I care about that I have personally hurt (and you really & truly didn’t deserve it), I hope that I can somehow make amends. No blood is to be shed though, nor family threatened. Let’s keep it My Name is Earl style, shall we? Maybe that wasn’t a good idea, either.
I just came across this post through someone on Twitter.
If you are still interested in doing NaNoWriMo, check it out. It doesn’t look like I will be able to but I might play the “home version” & see if I could write everyday. Probably won’t be the 1,667 words a day needed, though.
In other news, I just found out there is a NaNoWriMo for Blogging: NaBloPoMo. Sounds kinda suggestive. 🙂
I should not be surprised by this, yet I was. Go figure. 🙂
Â Â Â Â It’s been an interesting ride for me. Looking back at the first few posts, I can’t believe how verbal I was compared to now(shaddup). Though I haven’t been active lately, I’ve enjoyed the stuff I’ve come across or talked about here.Â I’ve geeked out, done bootleg gift guides, spoke on (some sometimes new) music I’ve come across, linked the shit out of stuff, professed my love for Pandora, wondered where da HAZELL some artists are, maybe slightly lost my mind some would say, And even shared a little bit of myself with you all. Oh, I’ve even married a couple of loves into a post (one of my favorite posts, I think), took out couple of memes & ran down my Song of the Moment from time to time. Looking back, I need to bring back some of that. The stuff comes to mind early and often, but I’ve been too lazy to put them down. Some things don’t translate in audio & I’m not crazy about my voice. I think it’s safe to say you won’t see me on Youtube anytime soon(try next to never). I’m still waiting for Deja to do it, chicken ass. Well, that and I’m not prepared to get dooced by my job, just yet. I know some folks are peeping this spot.
Â Â Â Â You know, you’d think this kind of post would be better done on a five or ten year anniversery, but I’m special like that. Plus seeing articles like this:
doesn’t give me warm fuzzy feelings. In fact, I kinda disagree with it. You want to read it go for it. My thing is, this article is true if you are trying to go up against HuffPo, Engadget, & whatnot. If you have good content that people like and are consistent, you will have your own following. That’s all you’ll ever need. Hell, if you are writing what you like & no one reads it, it’s still good. You are doing you. But I seem to have strayed off topic. That never happens.
So anyway, back to the front. I’ve been here for three going into four, need to not only step my thang up, but keep it up. Wouldn’t want to disappoint you all, would I? Where else would you get my brand of quirky, geeky, goodness…..don’t answer that 🙂
It’s the month of NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. And this time, I’m telling you in advance (as opposed to 7 days after it starts). So it’s only 5 days out from the start (Nov. 1st), that’s enough time to gear up. I notice some people are gearing up proper, by lining up ideas & probably have outlines, storyboards, and whatnot. Don’t know, but my best writing seems to have come from off the cuff. Granted I’ve never written a novel before, so comedy should ensue. Not even sure if I’m going to do it. It’s probably one of the biggest commitments I’ve ever thought to do. It’s also on my “want to do before before I bounce” list. You know, the one that I haven’t blogged about yet, list. Not to be confused with SoulBounce, I can do that all day. 🙂
So anyway, once again I’m thinking of doing this and once again I by all acounts will have no time to actually do it even though I could use the workout. And
"Ohhhh, you did it to me 1nce Again my friend
I swear you do it to me everytime
Cause you stay crazy on my mind
Yo you got it goin on (say word), on and on and on
On and on and on"
*ahem* So once again, I’m calling out some of my writers and exciters to go do the damn thing. I know some pretty good ones out there. Yea, I see you, Patticakes! Over in the TX, I see you Keli, Ms. Sula, & Kayos! Jan Jan, I know you can, you got the plan! Sliding over to the ATL, I’m checking you out as well, Gee Double (if you weren’t already busy as Hell, that is). To my mans Saule Wright, you don’t stop! To my mans, Mr. e, you don’t quit. Get y’alls hats in the ring! To the lady, Miss A, come around the way. I know that you can do this like every single day. To the beauty, Nobelle, hope all is well! Would love to see some wordsmithery from you, it’d be swell! You get the idea….oh wait, I almost forgot one.
Deja, don’t think I forgot about you! Gitcho sexy Bootleg ass to writing! That’s right, singled out like that damned TV show, What! 🙂
I know that’s not all, but that enough for now. May shout a couple more out, but who knows. Should I do this, you know I will let you know. 🙂
Dammit! I need a laptop! Hmmm….
I realize the irony of taking this on(should I) and me not even consistently blogging. SHADDIDUP!
That is all.
Anyway, I don’t reaaaaally need a laptop, but I wants one. I even pretty much know what I want. Still seeing if there is something else that might sway me….oh yea, & I don’t have the money to get one. But I do have my phone, which in a lot of way is a little computer. Web capable, QWERTY keyboard, GPS, too if I can get the damned thing working(stupid ass Verizon for locking shit down). I can pretty much do what I need to do on this thing that I would do on a laptop. Well except a laptop is fullsized, faster, better suited to watching
porn movies, and in cases come with a webcam built in for video conferencing( should you need that sort of thing).
I came across something that might marry my smartphone to a laptop in a sense. It’s called the Celio Redfly Mobile Companion.
What it does is turns your cellphone into a laptop. The Redfly is basically a screen & a keyboard with touchpad that has USB ports and Bluetooth. You connect your smartphone to the Redfly by either Bluetooth or USB, then use your phone’s programs on a bigger screen like it’s a laptop. It’s a neat concept for those who are always mobile and don’t want to always carry a laptop. Okay, there are those I’ve heard use this and still have a laptop. That’s besides the point. I can see myself using this. Sometimes it’s nice to have a bigger screen to bat out an email or check Google Maps out on. Then again, when I have to do this, I’m in a place where I can do this in a proper setting(ie: home).
To make it even sweeter, I just came across an offer that knocks half of the price off of this thing. It will be regularly $399, but up until Oct 31st, the price is $199. Personally, I think that’s the price it should be for it. I mean it’s basically a screen, keyboard, & some ports. No Operating system, no CPU, no memory. It’s a dumb terminal that uses a smartphone as it’s “brains”. Still it’s an appealing gadget.
- Bigger screen and keyboard than your average smartphone
- Don’t have to carry a full laptop
- You can charge your smartphone off of the the Redfly’s battery
- No CPU, storage, or memory. Can’t dump stuff to this if wanted
- For around it’s regular price, I can get one of these mini laptops (AKA Netbooks) like the Asus EEE PC
- I’d probably still want a laptop.
I’m sure there are other things I’m missing, but I can’t think of them right now. I’ve got until Halloween to make the decision to jump on this or not. Still mullling it over. If you yourself would be interested in this, go check it out here. There’s even a 3 minute tour at the bottom and you can check out whether your phone is supported here. It’s all Windows Mobile based phones, but I’d be willing to bet that they are working on supporting Android based phones like the HTC Dream (AKA the G1) in the future. That’s just my guess, though.
Here is a video from the mobile blog Jkontherun talking about the Redfly.